There are many dental problems in the world today, and one of them is called baby bottle tooth decay. Baby bottle tooth decay generally forms in the mouths of children after they constantly consume sugary drinks from their bottles. This issue can destroy your child’s smile if you let it, which is why our Republic Dental team recommends that you fight baby bottle tooth decay by doing the following things:
· Wipe your child’s gums with a wet and clean washcloth or gauze pad after each feeding. This will help wash away the harmful particles that destroy the smile.
· After your child’s teeth grow into the mouth, clean them twice a day with a child-sized soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Until your child is 3 years old, we recommend only using a small amount of toothpaste as you brush—about the size of a small grain of rice. You can increase the amount of paste used between the ages of 3 and 6 years old to a pea-sized amount.
· Stay with your child as they brush their teeth each day. Make sure they perform a thorough cleaning job and they do not swallow the toothpaste.
· Place milk, breast milk, and formula in your baby’s bottle instead of sugary drinks, like soda and juice.
· Encourage your child to finish their bottle before they lie down to go to sleep.
· Do not dip your child’s binky in sugar or honey.
If you have any questions about the mentioned tips, Dr. Espino and our friendly dental team recommend that you call 830-268-4447 when you can. We are happy to talk with you and help you find the perfect way to prevent this dental issue. We look forward to hearing from you!