Tooth decay is something to be fought—not accepted. It is a common yet dangerous dental problem that can cause extreme pain and discomfort if left untreated. So, it’s best to do everything you can to avoid this dental issue, and we recommend doing the following things if you want to be successful:
· Keep up on oral hygiene: It’s important that you brush your teeth every morning and every night with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. You also need to floss once a day, but be gentle on your gums as you do so. And please remember to rinse your mouth with beneficial mouthwash daily. This mouthwash could be anti-bacterial mouthwash, fluoride mouthwash, plaque prevention mouthwash, or tooth sensitivity mouthwash.
· Visit your dentist regularly: Visiting your dentist is a vital tool in maintaining a strong and successful oral health. So, make sure you see your dentist every six months for a professional cleaning and checkup. These appointments will help you prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
· Consider dental sealants: Dental sealants are thin, tooth-colored objects that are placed over your teeth to shield them from tooth decay. This is a great option for younger kids who have poor oral hygiene and for adults who are prone to tooth decay but they don’t have any dental fillings.
· Take advantage of fluoride: Fluoride is an important and necessary mineral that helps your teeth survive each day. So, it’s very important that you get the right amount of fluoride each day. You can get your fluoride by using fluoride toothpaste, fluoride mouthwash, and professional fluoride treatments. You can also get fluoride by drinking plenty of tap water.
· Eat tooth-healthy foods: It’s best that you eat foods that are healthy for your smile rather than eating foods that are harmful to it. Some healthy foods and drinks include fresh fruits and veggies, unsweetened coffee, tea, and sugar-free gum. Harmful foods and drinks include hard, sticky candies, sugary treats, and soda.
You can also do your best to avoid snacking and sipping throughout the day and you can ask Dr. Espino about antibacterial treatments. These things will also help you prevent tooth decay in addition to the mentioned tips. If you have any questions or if you would like to know more, please call 830-268-4447 now and talk to our friendly Republic Dental team. We are here to help you in any way we can, and we look forward to talking with you!